25 April 2012: KeyArena, Seattle, WA, USA
- Mylo Xyloto
- Hurts Like Heaven
- In My Place
- Major Minus
- Lovers In Japan
- The Scientist
- Violet Hill
- God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
- Princess Of China
- Up In Flames
- Warning Sign
- Don't Let It Break Your Heart
- Viva La Vida
- Charlie Brown
- Us Against The World
- Fix You
- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
Photos from this show can be found at Coldplaying.com in the Gallery thread for Seattle. http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1938
Videos from this show can be found in the first post of the Coldplaying forum live thread for this show at http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90964
All post-show discussion for this show at the forum thread http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90964
All fan reviews have been submitted to us by the members of Coldplaying.com, unless stated otherwise.
What an amazing night! Surprised there were no additions so the setlist but it was all so perfect. The guys were all so happy and there were SO many Buckin moments! I wanted to do a review while the whole show was still fresh in my memory that should make up for the lack of pics/videos! It will be a long one, so apologies. BTW, if anyone there saw a girl with large elephant ears, that was me. I got there an hour before gates opened, which turned out to be useless because the area staff kept us waiting outside in the rain till 6pm (Seattle, shoulda known). I got to meet some other fans and get to the merch lines first, so I guess that was good. Also got to see the Roadies and Dan Green at work! I was hoping to see Phil but no dice. As someone else noted, the audience mix was really weird. No offence, but there were way too many older (50+) folks at the show who were all seated - and remained seated - in the front rows and clearly knew nothing about Coldplay. They weren't even chaperoning! There were no die-hard fans around me so I felt pretty silly when I got up and got really excited when 99 problems came on. The feeling when the xylobands light up the first time is just incredible. No matter how many videos of it you watch (and I have watched MANY over the last few weeks) there's nothing quite like the rush of watching everyone's collective gasp when they see the bands flashing! My bracelet for some reason stayed on till Charlie Brown played which led to everyone around me asking how I was doing that...I attributed it to my super-fandom-ness.
I stayed away from watching any of the videos from the tour so far, so I could really experience the whole thing. I was a bit of a spoiler for my friends who didn't know the setlist and I felt like I knew too much. Anyway. I have a renewed love for HLH, it was such a perfect opener for MX. IMP felt really right, though I was never a huge fan of the song before. When Jonny came on the X Stage with Chris it was just… Gahhh! And Jonny ended it, of course. The next standout for me was Yellow - I did not expect the piano intro which just added a whole new dimension to the song. Violet Hill and GPASUYF were so loud and Jonny was on fire. Absolutely fabulous playing. Didn't care too much for POC, Will did sound good though. Before Warning Sign came the little speech about Guy - and the spotlight on Guy nodding along as the crowd cheered his good looks DLIBYH, oh DLIBYH - may have been my favorite of the night. I'm going to get nit-picky for a moment and say Charlie Brown sounded… odd to me...Will wasn't drumming at the start and the pace slackened a bit, but picked up quickly later. Did everyone see the flying/somersaulting Running Man during CB? The C-stage - was not a surprise to me, but was for a lot of others! I was sad that I was in section 103, directly opposite 111...if only, sigh. Chris' piano during Clocks seemed a bit off from where I was standing, but when I look at the youtube videos it sounds perfect from other spots. Fix You gave me the warm and fuzzies like always, but it sounded so perfect last night with the crowd singing very well at the end. ETIAW - I thought last night's performance of it was one of the best I've seen. Chris' singing really stood out for me last night, in addition to everything else he does <3 There were a lot of Yoga and dance moves on display last night and also some marching to Violet Hill. He worked in enough Seattle references (Seahawks, Nirvana, Mariners) to keep everyone engaged, and really got the crowd singing and jumping. As he does, I know, I know. I'll save the rest for the Chrissy thread. I really want to go to another show now! Their strategy to keep me wanting more with the 90 minute show is really working. [thanks wabbit]
SSG Music: A little over a decade ago, I saw Coldplay live for the first time. I actually went to the show for Grandaddy; The Sophtware Slump had just come out and they were touring with the buzzworthy young band from England. Coldplay’s Parachutes, already a hit with the press across the Atlantic, were now barely scraping into 120 Mintues regular rotation, and only hinting at a break into TRL canon. But Chris Martin was as chatty as ever, charmingly nervous but willing to play up the part of the big rock star. Multiple times he commented on the strangeness of the venue (they played Benaroya Hall of all places), and even once he said that this would be the perfect venue for a band much, much bigger than they were. Fast forward to 2012. Coldplay is now playing soccer and football stadiums, with extravagant stage setups and enough set designers in tow to screw in many many fluorescent lightbulbs. Mylo Xyloto marks their fifth album and their fifth reimaging, this time as like a fluorescent, ravetastic version of Disney’s “Newsies”. They brought a piece of the city with them, a large graffiti mural emblazoned with inspirational tidbits and lyric snippet. And of course they have the Arena Rock Catwalk, so they can of course “come into the crowd” and “feel the audience’s energy.” Which they did. Multiple times.
Their set breezed by on a tight schedule, bouncing back and forth between earlier and later hits. All killer, no filler, as they say. Taking notes from the Flaming Lips’ live shows, Coldplay brought their toys: paint splattered balloons, a metric ton of M, X, and heart shaped confetti, fluorescent fish (?), lasers, spotlights, scaffolding, blacklights, you name it. Wristbands were distributed before the show which lit up in sequence to the music, giving the concert at the Key Arena the air of a soccer game. And by the feel of the crowd, our team was winning. Speaking of sports, Chris Martin’s banter was very sports heavy. A shout out to the Seahawks during “ “ and a song dedicated to the poor start of the Mariners (“Us Against The World“) had an audience of all ages eating out of the palm of his hand. When you think about it objectively, it’s amazing that a band like Coldplay, spanning the years that they have, haven’t really made an egregious misstep in their careers. Every single one of their studio albums is a little better than average, with a healthy amount of truly memorable modern rock moments sprinkled amongst them. And they’ve never been afraid to grow, to reinvent, to change form and run with it. Kind of like Radiohead, but without the art school shackling or the moody estrangement. It was never meant to be more than fun.
But the question remains, does a band like Coldplay, inoffensive enough but never really groundbreaking, deserve a concert like this? As their albums go on, their sound becomes more and more bombastic, epic, arena. But even older tunes like “Warning Sign,” “In My Place,” and even “Yellow,” sound larger than life, larger than they were back in 2001. When Martin and company were playing Benaroya, I believe he didn’t think Coldplay were going to be the biggest band in the world. But I do believe he thought they’d get close. PS Metronomy played too. They are a small, small band, rigidly English and not really worth noting. They played like they couldn’t wait to get away from the crowd. 
A show with so many special effects and lighting cues had to lack some spontaneity, so it was telling that Martin's most authentic sentiment came not during a song, but during an introduction, in which he said he was singing about his "self loathing." As if he'd revealed too much, he quickly added, "no, it's about a girl." Both sentiments could apply to every song in Coldplay's catalog, but this one, done at the piano, felt like Martin unguarded. A show that started with confetti, flashing wristbands and laser lights was bound to end that way, and Martin was soon back to running all over KeyArena. By the time he threw up his arms during the finale of "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall," he seemed both filled with the exuberance of an athlete sprinting across the finish line, and an actor hitting the final curtain call of the night. 
Herald Net: I don't care what anybody says, Coldplay is awesome - Chris Martin is a star and that show last night was incredible - I should probably start at the beginning before I get too deep into my crush on the whole band. When I entered KeyArena last night, I was greeted by a very nice ticket taking lady who handed me blue and pink a bracelet that looked like an Easter egg I found once and announced, “You have to wear this. It's part of the show.” I don't like being told what to do but I put it on anyway because it said “Coldplay” on it and everybody else was wearing one. More on these bracelets in a bit. Music played throughout the arena as the stage was being set for Coldplay, much like it does at any venue between sets. Then that music suddenly got louder and unedited version Jay-Z's “99 Problems” began to play. The energy level in the crowd picked up and I sat laughing as the mothers of the very underage concert goers panicked and covered the ears of their children. As soon Jay-Z finished, the place went pitch black and the crowd began to scream. Then, for just a second, the place went silent as every bracelet in the arena lit up creating a brilliant sea of colorful light. It actually took my breath away and the whole crowd seemed to skip a beat to realize what just happened. The screams resumed at a decibel level that would rival that of a Seattle SuperSonics playoff game.
Coldplay opened with “Hurts Like Heaven” (video below) and “In My Place” and by the end of the second song the stage and crowd were covered in confetti. These guys opened their show the way most huge bands close a show. They set the bar high at the start and didn't let up for the rest of the show. At one point in the show, the lights went out again and in what seemed like a matter of seconds Chris Martin was standing under a spotlight in the middle of the crowd at the other end of the arena to perform the “Us Against the World.” The guy has got to be in amazing shape because he covered some serious ground in a hurry and it didn't seem to faze him. Martin was later joined by the rest of the band and when they finished the song they all sprinted back to the main stage. A few people gave me a hard time when I told them I was going to see Coldplay. At one point my excitement was interrupted by the thought that this might be one of those guilty pleasures I should keep to myself. Nope. Not even close. That show was unreal and the next time Coldplay comes to town, you all need to attend just like I needed to wear that bracelet. 
- @KeyArenaSeattle: Coldplay crew setting up the stage for tonight's show! pic.twitter.com/icCICeqZ
- @megbo2002: On our way to Seattle for the @coldplay concert. Here we come!!
- @melanieterry: Gets to see @coldplay in #Seattle tonight with @sarah_brown37! SO EXCITED!!
- @rock247music: It will be my first time ever seeing @coldplay tonight in Seattle. The waiting ends finally! #VivaLaVida :)
- @bebipetunia: Tonight @coldplay in seattle! Cant wait!!!! XD
- @WaleedKQ: You guys are going to have to play us some classics today!! @coldplay #Seattle
- @CoryLiang: goin to see @coldplay in Seattle tonight !!!!!!
- @Leahlc07: Today is the day for #Coldplay in #Seattle!!
- @tanisharachelle: I can't wait for the @coldplay in Seattle tonight! It's going to be incredible!
- @seibslikefeebs: Seeing @coldplay tonight in Seattle!!!!! CAN. NOT. WAIT!!!!!!
- @serenabonne: @coldplay moving at the #speedofsound from vancity to seattle, hope we don't get #lost! Watching the #clocks so we're not late for #paradise
- @Tiffanywilliam: Can't wait until tonight. @coldplay's gunna rock Seattle so hard. FOUR MORE HOURS. :'>
- @karynn13: Outside key arena listening to coldplay do their soundcheck <3
- @Lostintheblubox: Off to see @coldplay at key arena tonight!!!!! :D
- @aliciasesslerr: Getting ready for @coldplay in Seattle! About to be #paradise
- @oxfamontour: Just waiting for the volunteers to arrive via.me/~u9mkpc
- @pottersville8: On our way to Coldplay concert on Seattle! Woot Woot!
- @oxfamamerica: Seattle Oxfam @Coldplay volunteers training before tonights show at Key Arena #lovefoodhateinjustice pic.twitter.com/gOZ3M4uH
- @sarahwaves: Welcome to Seattle @coldplay! Looking forward to the show tonight!
- @oxfamontour: Seattle's volunteers getting ready to talk to ppl about #GROW twitpic.com/9dt6mr
- @coldplay: Guitar sounds. Seattle Key Arena. Right now. R42 post.ly/6zgRs
- @LaneyBeeBaby: @coldplay Off to see you at Key Arena. Tonight's show will be FANTASTIC.
- @jfeltis: At the Coldplay concert with my daughters at Key Arena Seattle. Wish the Sonics were playing. :) #ColdplayatKey
- @tanisharachelle: Getting some merchandise! Ahhhhh I'm so happy! :) #coldplay #seattle @ KeyArena instagr.am/p/J3VBBzloGR/
- @Endorphine: Coldplay Pre-Concert Time, Key Arena instagr.am/p/J3VkSfgHlj/
- @alexpolson: At the Key Arena to see @coldplay. We were given bracelets as we walked in. Can't wait to see what they're for #coldplayfilm #fb
- @jayme_paul: I would do unforgivable things right now to be seeing Coldplay in Seattle
- @DiamondGolf: At Key Arena. Openers about to start before Coldplay takes the stage.
- @NoelleRaelene: Coldplay concert in Seattle!! So excited. These wristbands are cool too. #coldplayfilm
- @lisapapp: Excited to be seeing @Coldplay in #Seattle tonight. Groovy @Metronomy up next and then....Paradise!
- @TheTrekNerd: Coldplay Seattle twitpic.com/9duafl
- @marlainem: @coldplay second opening act at Key Arena....not my cup of tea
- @Jayreg1969: Seattle are you ready :) We are !!!!!
- @ryanmoothart: Ready for @coldplay. Hope tonight's show ends up being the #coldplayfilm. #Seattle
- @emcosford: #coldplay #lightshow #seattle instagr.am/p/J3kCrfR18s/
- @rapino99: Thank you Coldplay Seattle pic.twitter.com/NTgahdoV
- @brittneyelysse: So AMAZING!!!! #coldplay #Seattle
- @mikejbower: Coldplay @ key arena. yfrog.com/mon36tj
- @ndlstrong: "if you love nirvana won't you let me know." -Chris Martin #coldplay #seattle
- @scottiiiboiii: @Coldplay concert is fantastic!!! <3 #Seattle #SoGood
- @LostInPortland: @Coldplay at the Key arena!! Awesome!!!
- @CareyFude: Coldplay is playing the most GORGEOUS version of "Warning Sign" right now in Seattle. GORGEOUS!
- @stp999: Coldplay in Seattle! @Coldplay pic.twitter.com/7Q8DtWW0
- @funnydumbblonde: #coldplay #seattle #keyarena pic.twitter.com/EgNT0cs7
- @enagrabovica: Would just like to thank @coldplay for giving me and the rest of Seattle the best night of our life:) sincerely, your #1 fan.
- @hermc: #Coldplay simply killed it in #Seattle. #Slayer.
- @ryanmoothart: @coldplay in #Seattle. pic.twitter.com/TSR1J9QL
- @ryanmoothart: More @coldplay in #Seattle. pic.twitter.com/26WogLzt
- @MascoSean: At Coldplay, Seattle instagr.am/p/J3ymuiA814/
- @tanisharachelle: The best night of my life. #coldplay #seattle #live instagr.am/p/J3y08WloAn/
- @patrick_mair: #Coldplay. Anthem rock. Humble Chris Martin. Seattle eating out of his hand from 0:01. http://pic.twitter.com/26sdNN8x
- @mrourkeee: Best night ever. Such a good concert. Love Coldplay. Love Seattle. So great. #lovemylife
- @erinhough: Thank you @coldplay, for throwing the most kick-ass concert I've ever been to! And for having it in Seattle on my birthday :) You guys rock!
- @AdamBehringer: Coldplay @ Key Arena instagr.am/p/J31PKElISk/
- @jayweisberger: Lights #coldplay #coldplayfilm #seattle @ KeyArena instagr.am/p/J32FExqD5e/
- @raincitygeek: @coldplay in Seattle. Best show ever!! #FTW
- @HollyBohnett: Coldplay: A pretty good way to spend my first day back in Seattle. instagr.am/p/J32F5XteG7/
- @CoachSark: Concert by @coldplay in Key Arena was amazing! Chris Martin put on an unbelievable performance!
- @tarakriese: epic seattle show @coldplay pic.twitter.com/D9Avc8fV
- @Nickthweatt: #coldplay #concert #seattle #chrismartin #guyberryman #jonnybuckland @ KeyArena instagr.am/p/J33chPNA-Q/
- @medavidmorgan: It's 11:30 on a Wednesday in Seattle. Traffic like this can only mean one thing: Coldplay just let out. instagr.am/p/J339qGzLdN/
- @izza_burnadette: #Coldplay killed it yet again! Every tour tops the last, see you guys next time! #seattle #coldplayfilm #key [ http://instagr.am/p/J34OlgKrcv/ instagr.am/p/J34OlgKrcv/]
- @avsdreamsbig: Thank you @coldplay for a great and awesome night tonight here in Seattle!!!!!
- @Stand_in_Motion: Coldplay concert in Seattle tonight was amazinggggg! Such a big inspiration seeing them. pic.twitter.com/fIv3voMC
- @jimmynono: #Coldplay #Seattle #Wow! pic.twitter.com/9fewsOdK
- @AndreArevalo: The best concert EVER!! @coldplay in Seattle!! OMG!!! U guys are AMAZING!! Thanks!!
- @arturobe: Coldplay at Seattle was amazing!! sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/405000_10150684301686105_516426104_9613662_1213388194_n.jpg #coldplay #seattle #concerts
- @ryanthemann94: Every song, every moment...was perfect. The BEST concert I've ever been to. I even touched Chris Martin's shoulder..what. #coldplay #seattle
- @allenaatan: Viva la @coldplay... You rocked #Seattle! pic.twitter.com/wdIcUp1N
- @jckevin: @Coldplay knocked it out of the park in Seattle. My daughter is in heaven. What a show!
- @lhope11: @coldplay you guys are amazing!!! Thanks for an awesome show! #seattle pic.twitter.com/8xltKlho
- @kchau: I have to say, the coldplay concert in seattle blew my mind, and my ears, and my eyes. total sensory overload. #coldplayfilm
- @KatieM_W: @coldplay awesome show at the keyarena tonight. Come back to Seattle soon!
- @steveo1485: @Coldplay If Dan ever reads this, thank you for the ticket upgrade in Seattle and sorry for almost not believing you! We had a great time!
- @scottiiiboiii: @Coldplay your music tonight in Seattle was fantastic! I loved the enthusiasm, what a great show, and a great setlist! :) #Satisfied
- @Kailee_Hope_: Thank you @coldplay for being my favourite band since I was 6 years old. The Seattle concert was all I dreamed it would be. (: <3
- @TandM13: Coldplay in Seattle was awesome. #coldplayfilm pic.twitter.com/TOu0KEmS
- @fernandasuarezs: last night in Seattle, @coldplay A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !! "para- para paradise ohhh ohhh ohhh ohhh " :D ♥ :') twitpic.com/9e1560
- @Jayreg1969: Seattle was great !!!! really enjoyed it !!! very loud crowd !!!
- @Mark_Hooton: Coldplay.... Best show I've seen. #seattle #keyarena #coldplay instagr.am/p/J4_eO-xt_J/
- @meliinevarez: @coldplay THANK YOU FOR LAST NIGHT IN SEATTLE!!
- @Jome20: Definitely enjoyed the #Coldplay concert last night at Key Arena in Seattle. They put on quite a show. Lights, confetti, beach balls I think
- @soderqaa: Had so much fun helping out the #GROW campaign at the Coldplay concert in Seattle yesterday! #lovefoodhateinjustice
- @TamiTaste: Great #Coldplay concert last night at #Key Arena -- short but amazing!